Wednesday, May 17, 2006

News From Browntown

A Cozy, Rainy Moms Day in Browntown

Mother's Day in Browntown started off with church and the Moms' high hopes of playing in the yard. However, just after church it got very chilly, clouded up and things started to look iffy. Grammy and I dashed home, changed clothes quick, and ran outside trying to stay ahead of the impending rain to get some planting done. I have lots of vegetables and flowers all waiting patiently for their new, permanent homes and the weather has not been cooperative so I can get them settled in properly. Grammy has her stuff planted because she plants and putters in the garden during the weekdays between rain drops and showers. Anyway, we dashed outside bundled up against the May chill and while Cleo fretted and paced around us worrying about the impending storm, we managed to get a few things planted on my end of the compound before the storm broke. It rained heavily the remainder of Mother's Day, 2006.

We spent the rest of the day eating lunch, watching a movie, winding yarn with my new Mother's Day ballwinder and having Mother's Day observance what with cards to each other and calls from the children/grandchildren. It was so nice to hear from each of you when we could both chat a bit.

Dad and I gave Grammy corning ware for Mother's Day. Her cookware (which I remember PawPaw giving her for Christmas one year in the early 1960s) is more than a bit worn and she has resorted to using some odds and ends that only resemble cookware in that they are metal vessels with handles of sorts. I hope she can adapt to using nice French White Corning Ware and, even more important, will discard the worn out, make-do stuff.

Thanks so much for the cards and the calls Win, Emma, and Andrew.

I will be doing a bit of traveling this summer if all works out. Sometime in June Dad has to stay in Maine for two weeks and we were thinking we might make it a bit of a long week-end. I will go up on a Thursday and stay over until the following Tuesday or so. Dad says it is really beautiful and I have never been that far up into New England. June in Maine will be beautiful, I'm sure.

Sometime after that and before mid-August, Grammy and I plan to drive down to Atlanta via China Grove, NC (where we will visit the Fulghums) and on to Atl. to visit with Melanie, Em and Andrew. That trip date is not set yet - waiting to confirm with those kind enough to host us and sorta hoping the Virginia Highlands yarn shop is open by the time we get down there.

Thank you again for the Mother's Day rememberances and for being you (all three of you).

1 comment:

Gary said...

Mom fails to mention that I made "Potting Soil" runs to K-Mart. Not my fault it rained :) fortunetly I got all the mowing done on Saturday so the rain didn't slow me down a bit. I'm still in South Florida, looking forward to leaving here tomorrow (Friday) and getting back to the real world. Next week finds me in Baltimore (speaking of real world) and no more air travel til June. Oh, and I'm so looking forward to the veggies mom has planned for the various garden spots around the compound.