Wednesday, August 31, 2005

News From Browntown

News From Browntown

Today's news from Browntown:

Since Dad is not here to report I will stand in with a report.

I had supper with Grammy at her house and as we ate we watched a Mama Bear and her adorable twins strolling from up behind the garage along the edge of the old orchard area to up behind the pool garden. What a sight and no camera at hand!! The babies were so frisky and cute, romping around and playing in the open area. When I left Grammy's house at 7 p.m. (still light out) we were standing on the porch and heard a loud "crack" of tree limbs. We thought it was the bears trying to get apples out of the old apple trees between Grammy's house and the pool garden.

I put Cleo in the car to ride down the hill home because of the proximity of bears. I didn't want her tangled up with one. We drove down the hill and I decided to drive up through the swale toward the Brogan fence to see if I could see the bears. Well, lo and behold, as I got to the edge of the meadow area where it starets to turn into high grass and bushes, a loud "CRACK" and a baby bear came scrambling down the trunk of a big tree right in front of the car! At the same time, Mama Bear's back end was disappearing around the far side of a large blackberry bush and then another baby came crashing down the tree trunk in a shower of sticks and leaves! What a surprise to have them so close! I hope they stay away during the day when Grammy is out there messing in her flower beds and mowing!

A wild storm with high wind, thunder and lashing rain kept Cleo cowering by the bed all night. It was disgustingly humid and the air was so pressurized it was physically oppressive. When I left Grammy's it was 85 degrees and I don't think it cooled off much through the night. Pale in comparison to down south, though.

That's the news from Browntown!

1 comment:

eii said...

Wow Mom, you do a great job of reporting the news! MAybe you have experience doing that...

I bet the bears were adorable!