Saturday, September 03, 2005

Tuning Out....For Now

So i got home from work tonight and decided i wasnt going to stay glued to the television like I have for 10 hours a day this entire week. Emmalee and I hit up the Mac for a cerveza and some chips and salsa....avoided the topic altogether actually, and it was nice. I was also forced to watch some horrendous movie tonight too, which helped with the whole "not watching the news" thing. I did however tune in to the tvnewser blog, as I always do, and Geraldo is an absolute embarassment to television news, to say the least. It's been a long week, and people at work are getting pretty testy and short tempered, as is understandable....so Im going to spend my saturday cleaning my room, maybe fiddling with my harmonica some more. Im tuning it out some more, but I guess on some level it's pretending like it didnt happen, who knows....Anyway, thats just my thoughts, and with all that said, Id go down there in a heartbeat if work would let me. Oh well, that's the way it goes....Good work Winner, opening the doors to the Center-So if anyone hears any news, let me know. Im surely going to try and stay away from the tv this weekend. Although I dont know, I have a tendency to slip back into it.......

2 comments:

Beth said...

Geraldo thinks the hurricane happened as a personal favor to him so that he can "showcase" his amazing news skills and his flair for drama! He is not only an embarassment to tv news, he is an embarassment to the human species generally.

It has to be hard for you and Emmalee - both surrounded by it in such an intense way. You are right to try to break away - if only to be more effective in your work. Both of you are doing work that becomes more important at a time like this and you need to be able to be at peak production and perform well.

I am trying to avoid the whole thing too. Not much sleep the past couple of nights - transfixed by television way past my bedtime and then fitful, uneasy sleep with sad thoughts. I have a lot of homework to do and will focus on that this week-end. Also going to inventory the stuff in the meeting house to send to Liberia. Remember - the worst day here is still better than the best day in Liberia. Even through this crisis-what these victims are suffering right now is a "crisis". In Liberia it is everyday life and no calvary to the rescue or hope of anything better!

Beth said...

Andrew...
Also meant to congratulate you on a great NG show last night. Her outrage on behalf of victims is well-suited to this situation and a lot of people will take what she says to heart - people who might not otherwise do so if they heard it elsewhere.

It was a well-done show in other respects as well!