Sunday, November 06, 2005

So maybe I want to be a teacher again...

I went to a clinic yesterday with Audrey, and got to meet musicians from the ASO. It was very cool, like meeting rock stars. For the second year in a row, the Atlanta Symphony has had this clinic for middle school students, where they offer tutorial sessions for kids who are auditioning for all-district band. The ASO musicians work with the kids on their solos to help them prepare for their auditions. It's a great program, these middle school kids are getting top-notch small group instruction with professional musicians. I wish I could have participated when I was a kid! So while the kids are doing their clinics, they also have clinics for the band directors. (I posed as a band director for the day). Cinnamon, my bassoon student, went to participate in the clinic. I'm really glad she had that opportunity. The prinicipal bassoonist and the contrabassoonist were both there. They worked with Cinnamon, and I got to network with them. It was very cool. They were impressed with my student (as they should have been) and one of the guys knows Chris Ulffers. I also sat in a clinic with one of the ASO horn players, which was very interesting. It was an excellent day, I was really glad to be able to participate. It was cool to learn about new teaching strategies, it kind of made me wish I had students to use them on... until Audrey got trapped by one of her crazy band parents. That brought me back to reality.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I am glad you had that reality check! It never hurts to remember that the kids are not the problem-it's the wacky adults involved with them that cause so much trouble!