Sunday, June 18, 2006

Bar Harbor Weekend

Another most excellent adventure as Mom and I tour the Bar Harbor, ME area. Since I had to work back to back weeks up here, Mom flew up to meet me and spend a long weekend. It is truly a beautiful place, one that we have never visited before. The pictures don't do justice to how pretty it is here.



This is the hotel we based out of. It was about 3 miles from the center of town.

The highlight on Sunday was taking a 4 hour whale watching tour. After crusing out in the ocean (35 miles) and covering 85 total miles, we were able to catch sight of several whales. I believe they were 'fin whales' which we were told were the second largest mammal. All I know is, they were incredible. We close enough that I could actually hear them blowing thru their blow holes. Pretty impressive. It is kind of hard to see, but here are a couple pictures. Actually the entire tour would have been fine even without seeing the whales. We cruised by a light house island, some 25 miles out in the ocean and watched seals lounging on rocks, and diving as we shut down and just hung out watching.





We will have more pictures and stuff to blog later. It's Lobster time now! More blogging later....

Day 2 of the excellent adventure........

We're off to Acadia National Park and Cadilac Mountain. More pictures to follow. In the meantime, here are a couple from the Whale Watching outing.








Ok, day 2 was spent exploring Acadia National Park. The pictures below show some of the beautiful sights. Some of the things observed were Peregrine Falcon's nesting. Watching a mother Falcon ward off a hungry buzzard. Thunderhole which was a crevice carved between some massive rocks at the shoreline, with waves constantly bashing into it. The resulting sound was like thunder. Witnessing mom standing on the edge of a ledge overlooking the Atlantic ocean was something you don't see everyday either. I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves and mom will contribute more narrative later, once she is home in Browntown. Enjoy!





Ok, Mom is home, or at least nearby, I talked to her and she was navigating Dulles Airport. The last obsticle is for her to find her car (she didn't write down her parking area) so that could take some time. I'm still in Maine, and went back to work this morning. We both are looking forward very much to having all of the kids home (for however brief a time) for a visit this weekend. If anyone wants more pictures of the Bar Harbor experience let me know and I'll send more to you. As for me, it's back to work! I can't wait to get back to Browntown and to re-collect myself before the next Excellent Adventure!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow- what a gorgeous place-I am glad you both have some time to enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

Just like a brochure! You deserve a chance to see that area. If it were a bit warmer in the winter it would be worth thinking about as a retirement place! Have fun.

Andrew Iden said...

Thats awesome dad, looks like you guys are enjoying the great northeast......How was the lobster?

eii said...

Great pictures, I'm so glad you guys had a good time! See you tomorrow!