Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Refugees

Well I just got off a conference call with the Governor's office, and it looks like a real possibility that we'll have 132 refugees here at the 4-H Center in the next few days. They're being transported from Houston to Fort Pickett, where they'll stay temporarily and get oriented as far as unemployment, etc. From there, the 4-H Centers in Front Royal & Smith Mt. Lake as well as us will begin taking them in, possibly for up to six months or more. I'll know more tomorrow, keep you all posted.

Press release about what Virginia is doing:
Press release

2 comments:

Gary said...

WoW! I hope mom and i are in a position to help more than with just the $$$'s we sent. If we weren't leaving the country in the next couple of weeks, I'd be in line to do more. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities when we return. Til then I know you ALL will do what you can to reach out and help. Mom and I are so proud of each of you and the contributions you each make in your own way. Keep up the faith and know we think of you often during this crisis. We love you very much!

dad

Beth said...

What are you hearing about the arrival of your guests? It is going to be a long couple of years for so many of these people!

I was thinking that if there is a Thanksgiving Dinner for them on Thanksgiving maybe we can help with that! Six able-bodied people who all have some food service experience might be helpful in that situation and we will be there anyway.