Sunday, October 02, 2005

News From Browntown

So I totally forgot to put a note in here about my meeting with President Dunlop, thanks for the reminder Grammy. We met for breakfast, and also were joined by Robin Zanotti, one of the people who is with the alumni affairs office. Anyway, it was good, I spoke with President Dunlop about my time at Shepherd, how I enjoyed being in the communications program, and about the idea of maybe going back to teach at some point in my life, although that would have to a long time from now, obviously. He told me about the things going on at Shepherd as far as improvements, housing, etc etc. He also mentioned there is discussion of trying to get a more active alumni community OUTSIDE the washington area. He asked if it would work for me, to maybe attend college fairs now and thenm if they indeed need representation, talk to potential students about the school, that kind of thing. I told them about my job, how I got it, and how I didnt feel like I was too far behind the folks I work with that went to UGA, Northwestern, or the other big journalism schools. I also mentioned I was in the Scarborough Society, and he was FULLY aware that both Grammy and I are both in it. I had a vision that they "checked my file" before we met, so they knew what kind of support I give, if any. I also gave them the lowdown on work, what I do, how its all set up at CNN, etc etc. So it was a good meeting, and things were good. This weekend was good, as Emmalee mentioned, with Win and Campbell coming to town, and topping it off with a 3-0 start for the Redskins........

2 comments:

Gary said...

Andrew, it sounds like you had a very productive meeting with the Shepherd people. Was there any talk of additional meetings after the one you had? When will you talk with them again about the Alumi group that you talked about being away from West Va?

Beth said...

Sounds like Andrew is being inducted into the WVA "network family" that is so effective around the world. Pawpaw's friend Cam Henderson used to say it was like the Mafia - once you are in you are in and each one helps another when they go "out" in the world ("the world" is anywhere that is not West Va.- after all WV is almost Heaven).