Wednesday, May 03, 2006

From the Atlanta Front

Things have been quite busy here in the ATL, even with one roomate gone from 991 Rupley. Andrew is correct, I did spend most of last weekend playing with the Capital City Opera. We were performing Susannah, an American opera written in the 1950's by Carlisle Floyd. It really is an excellent piece, and I am glad that I got the opportunity to play it. The performances were held on the campus of Oglethorpe University, on the northern end of the city. It was a nice gig to get, Nicole and Audrey both played in the orchestra as well. It was nice for the three of us to play together. It's cool when you play with the same people a lot, you get to know each other's tendencies and anticipate things. It's nice. So we had an open dress rehearsal last Thursday, and then performances on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Here is a link to a review of the show from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution: http://www.accessatlanta.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/accessatlanta/reviews/entries/2006/04/29/susannah_by_cap.html

So the opera is over, but the practicing is not. I have decided (at the last minute) to take an audition this weekend. Sunday afternoon I will be auditioning for Prinicipal Bassoon with the Atlanta Ballet Orchestra. It's a union gig (I know Mom is proud), and the audition is "down to the hall". Lucky for me, that is literally just down the street from my house. I barely have to leave the 'hood. (Thank goodness, because you all know we hate doing that here!) This will be my first real professional audition. I am trying to cram in practice this week, although I know that one can't really cram for such a thing. But I try, nonetheless. Luckily, I have a very supportive roomate -- Jarrett has been very encouraging and patient as I have worked continuously this week to squeak out a high D for Stravinsky's Rite of Spring excerpt. The dogs in the neighborhood have not been as patient and understanding, I must say. I have been practicing like crazy, it's like being in college again. I run home from work at lunchtime to get in some quick practice, then run home after work and hole up in my room for more... Jarrett is asleep now, so I'm taking a break before I start again at 8 when he gets up to go to work. So, we will see... everyone send me good thought vibes at 2:00 on Sunday afternoon. At this point I'm just looking forward to Sunday at about 5, when the whole thing is over!

I did take a break last night to go to a birthday dinner for a friend of mine. We went to a really cool restaraunt in Decatur, near my favorite hangout: Eddie's Attic. Dad, next time you're in town we're going there!

OK, I think that's all for now. Gonna grab some dinner before "the baby" wakes up and I can make some real noise.

5 comments:

Andrew Iden said...

Glad to hear your holding down the fort while Im gone....something told me that would be the case anyway, while Jarrett is always...well, sleeping....

Gary said...

Em, congrats on the opera gig and don't you worry about those pesky dogs while you practice. If you say the word I'll send Cleo down there to have a "talk" with them about how to cope with the honking sounds coming from 991. Mom and I both will be holding good thoughts for you on Sunday at 2pm. While we walk thru the many sheep, wool and any of the other 100's of exhibits at the Sheep & Wool festival. I wonder if there will be any bassoon makers there? Enjoy the weekend, don't stress yourself too much over the audition. We'll talk soon. Love, dad

Gary said...

"Conductor Eric Smithey led a 22-member orchestra with confidence, although basic matters of intonation and rhythm need refinement."

WHO is this guy? How dare HE!! Needs refinement INDEED!

Beth said...

Wow! Reports flooding in from all over the East- from ATL to NYC and points in between. Thanks for the great updates kids. It really is nice to be able to keep up this way with news of your lives in your own words AND pix.
Mom

Beth said...

One of these days I will attend a performance in person. Thanks for the update and keep them coming.

Of course you will be in our thoughts and prayers on Sunday.
Mom