Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Big Apple Report






So I made it to NYC in one piece after a detour through Richmond.....Needless to say, this town is rockin and rolling. Work is going well, my schedule has basically been get up at 8am or so, go get some breakfast (usually a bagel) at one of the ten million bagel spots around, and then kind of just walk around and observe people, which, as far as Im concerned, doesnt get any better than here. This morning I walked a few blocks down to 63rd street, and happened to run into the Metropolitan Opera House (see photo Em) I noticed a little gathering, and then realized that is where the world famous David Blaine is doing his latest freak show. Basically he is living in a fishbowl for a week, and well, as one would imagine, all the media vans and trucks are there. I happened to be there when Miles O'Brien of CNN's American Morning was down there, doing a liveshot. He looked as if "I went to Georgetown, spent 6 years in Atlanta plugging away on a mid afternon show, I get a promotion and become the main anchor for the morning program, and they want me to interview some idiot living in a fishbowl?" That's TV dude-The freakier the better. I couldnt help but take some photos....

As for the evening, Ive been getting off around 9pm, and the other night i cabbed it down to Taylor Water's neighborhood, and met with her for a beverage, and we caught up, and she showed me her place and I met her roommates. Taylor is still, well, Taylor, but it was nice to see her. She is graduating from PT school this weekend, and will be a full on doctor, and her parents are going to be here tomorrow night, and she invited me out to dinner with the Waters family, which would be nice, but I declined, dont want to intrude on that whole deal. And Id rather meet with my friend Tim, the old Shepherd roommate anyway.

Work has been cool, Elizabeth is off this week, so I havent seen much of her. Nancy is in DC today testifying before congress about child predators, so she wont be here today, so i think it will be a little more laid back. I have to say, I never thought this, but it may be a little more laid back up here with the staff than it is in Atlanta, only because I dont work with a certain individual, and there are more people up here, and it makes it more of a communal effort, rather than me and said co-worker, who tends to try and act as my supervisor sometimes. I got to do sme cool stuff yesterday that was on air, that Nancy gave me props for-Always nice to get some cred from the big boss.

Tomorrow is my last day working, and Ill be hanging out with Tim, the roommate from Shep, who is the typical struggling actor in NYC. Dad, it was quite funny, I went to a spot last night not too far from my hotel, and wound up talking to a guy named Silvio, a horse and buggy driver in Central Park, and he ranted to me for 20 minutes as to why the Yankees need to stop saying "next year is the year" and that they need to get over losing to the god forsaken Red Sox. And of course after the conversation, he was foaming at the mouth, and my eardrums were a little injured. But quite funny none the less. The pictures are shots of the Time Warner Center from the front, the two towers are pretty impressive, and it basically holds everything Time Warner owns, which is, well, everything....Im trying to find David Chase walking around somewhere, but I doubt his offices are in the building....The other shot is from my room window....Im heading out of here Friday mid-day, and off to Richmond to meet Campbell, Adam, Jerkface and a number of others for the soiree at RIR (RichmOnd International Raceway for the Non-NASCAR Crowd, Win, thats not you anymore) Anyway, here are some pics, Ill touch base soon....

4 comments:

Gary said...

Andrew; I'm sure you're having a great time in the "apple". You are correct, people watching is the BEST there. I always enjoy that sport when I'm there. It's too bad Sean isn't going to be around NYC while you're there, but I'm sure he pointed you in the right direction for entertainment, etc. How about Dennis? any word on if he'll be able to meet you finally? Be careful and have a good time. MOre pics from NASCAR weekend perhaps?

dad

Andrew Iden said...

Believe me, there WILL be NASCAR pics, that might be the only place that could trump NYC when it comes to people watching.....

eii said...

I'm curious as to why Dad told Andrew to be careful when hanging out with "my friend Dennis"... :-)

Thanks for the report Andrew. Jarrett and I are holding down the fort here while you're gone. You need to tell me when to pick you up from the airport...

Oh yeah, just to let you know, I haven't been to Moes in over a week!

Beth said...

Being in NYC for you is like old home week! WCHS friends and old college buddies all over the place there. Have a good time and be careful.
Mom