Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Peachtree Road Race


The 4th of July in Atlanta was celebrated by many this morning by participating in the 38th running of the Peachtree Road Race. This is the world's largest 10k road race, with 55, 000 participants. I am pleased to say that there were two participants from 991 this year, Jarrett in his 4th consecutive PRR, and me in my first! It was a lot of fun, and I am very glad that I started this Independence Day tradition (even if I am a little sore sitting here on the couch as I write this). This 10k race (6.2 miles) runs down Peachtree Road, beginning at Lenox Mall, running through Buckhead to Midtown, and ending at Piedmont Park (not very far from our house). It was a great route, flat for the most part - there were really only two hills, one of which is "Cardiac Hill" that runs in front of Andrew's old apartment at The Darlington. The entire route is packed with people yelling and cheering, there were water stations, live bands, and water sprayers all along the way. One of the big churches in Buckhead even hooked up a sprayer on their lawn with a sign advertising "Holy Water" for those runners needing an extra kick. It really was a great experience! I should be able to get some pictures online in a few days, crossing the finish line, etc. In the meantime, here is a picture of Jarrett, Cyerra, me, and John Marc in Piedmont Park after finishing the race.

Happy 4th to everyone!

2 comments:

Rich/Dad/Unk said...

Way to Go, Emma!!!

What a great achievement.

How come Andrew didn't join you?


Unk

Gary said...

well done Em! i'm out of breath just thinking about it. looking foward to more pictures. and as for Andrew not joining? are ya kiddin me man?